Availability and Governing Law
We operate a full customer care service. If you are ever unhappy with any aspect of our service we welcome your feedback. You can e-mail your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to Step One Finance Limited at Premier House, 15 – 19 Church Street West, Woking, Surrey, GU21 6DJ. You can review a summary of our complaints handling policy here.
Tariff of Fees and Charges
You can review our Tariff of Fees and Charges for Mortgages here.
You can review our Tariff of Fees and Charges for Personal Loans here.
1. Step One Finance Limited (“Step One Finance/we/us/our”) and its agents may use and process your personal details: (a) to process your Loan application; (b) to assist Step One Finance and its agents in administering any relationship you have with Step One Finance or any other products that are being, or may be, provided to you; (c) for the purposes of meeting its legal and regulatory obligations; (d) for market research, assessment and statistical analysis for Step One Finance’s business; (e) to pass on to third party organisations Step One Finance has carefully selected for the marketing of products and services that may be of interest to you unless you have notified us pursuant to paragraph 14 below that you do not wish to be contacted for such marketing purposes.
2. Step One Finance and its agents may disclose your personal details to: (a) any other company associated or affiliated with Step One Finance for the purposes set out in this notice; (b) Step One Finance’s insurers, auditors, solicitors, professional advisers, sub-contractors or any person providing services to Step One Finance or otherwise involved in your application and/or the administration of your Loan, and which have agreed to treat your personal details in accordance with this notice; (c) any proposed or actual transferee or assignee of any relationship you have with Step One Finance, or funders of Step One Finance or its assets, which have agreed to treat your personal details as confidential; (d) any body having a right to your personal information, including any law enforcement and any other legal and regulatory authorities and government bodies; (e) any person where such disclosure is necessary to enable Step One Finance to ensure that your obligations under your relationship with Step One Finance are being complied with and to ensure that any security given by you is not at risk; and (f) any other third party with your consent.
3. When you apply to Step One Finance for a Loan, Step One Finance and its agents will check the following records about you and others (see 4 below): (a) Step One Finance’s own records; (b) those at credit reference agencies (“CRAs”). When CRAs receive a search from us they will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders. They supply to us both public (including the electoral register) and shared credit and fraud prevention information; (c) those at fraud prevention agencies (“FPAs”). Step One Finance and its agents will make checks such as: assessing your Loan application and verifying identities to prevent and detect crime and money laundering. Step One Finance and its agents may also make periodic searches at CRAs and FPAs to manage your mortgage account.
4. If you are making a joint application or tell us that you have a spouse or financial associate, Step One Finance and its agents will link your records together so you must be sure that you have their agreement to disclose information about them. CRAs also link your records together and these links will remain on your and their files until such time as you or your partner successfully files for a disassociation with the CRAs to break that link.
5. Information on your Loan application will be sent to CRAs and will be recorded by them. If your application is successful, Step One Finance and its agents will give details of your mortgage account and how you manage it to CRAs. If you do not repay your Loan in full and on time, CRAs will record the outstanding debt. This information may be supplied to other organisations by CRAs and FPAs to perform similar checks and to trace your whereabouts and recover debts that you owe. Records remain on CRAs files for 6 years after they are closed, whether settled by you or defaulted.
6. If you give us false or inaccurate information and Step One Finance suspects or identifies fraud, Step One Finance and its agents will record this and may also pass this information to FPAs and other organisations involved in crime and fraud prevention.
7. If you do not make your Loan repayments, Step One Finance and its agents will trace your whereabouts and recover debts.
8. Step One Finance, its agents and other organisations may access and use from other countries the information recorded by FPAs.
9. Your data may also be used for other purposes for which you give your specific permission or, in very limited circumstances, when required by law or where permitted under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998. Under this Act, you have the right of access to personal data held by Step One Finance and its agents upon request and the payment of a statutory fee. You have the right to request that inaccurate details be amended, or in certain circumstances, be removed from our records. To request such access or to make such amendments please email us at email@example.com or write to us at Step One Finance Limited, Premier House, 15 – 19 Church Street West, Woking, Surrey, GU21 6DJ.
10. Your telephone calls may be recorded or monitored for training purposes and for your protection. Your email may also be monitored for the same reasons.
11. Paragraphs 3 to 10 above represent a condensed guide to the use of your personal information by Step One Finance (including its agents) and at Credit Reference and Fraud Prevention Agencies. Full details of how your data may be used can be found in the downloadable guide referenced below. You can contact the CRAs currently operating in the UK; the information they hold may not be the same so it is worth contacting them all. They will charge you a small statutory fee: (a) CallCredit Information Group, Consumer Services Team, One Park Lane, Leeds, LS3 1EP or call 0330 024 7574; (b) Equifax PLC, Credit File Advice Centre, PO Box 10036, Leicester, LE3 4FS or call 0800 014 2955 or log on to www.equifax.co.uk; (c) Experian, Consumer Help Service, PO Box 8000, Nottingham NG80 7WF or call 0344 481 8000 or log on to www.experian.co.uk.
12. If your application is unsuccessful or if your loan account is closed for any reason, Step One Finance will only hold your information for so long as is necessary to comply with its legal and regulatory obligations or to defend itself against any claims.
13. Step One Finance and its agents may transfer your personal details to any other third party, including those based outside of the European Economic Area (including the United States of America) for the purposes detailed above.
14. From time to time, the information that Step One Finance will obtain about you may be used to offer products or services (including other loans and insurance products) which Step One Finance, or any other organisation we may give the information to, think may interest you. Please let us know if you do not wish to receive this information.
A short guide to what we do and how both we and credit reference and fraud prevention agencies will use your information is detailed under the title “Data Protection” in your loan documentation. If you would like to read the full details of how your data may be used please download our leaflet Full Guide to Use of Personal Data here.
You can view our cookies policy by clicking here.
Step One Finance owns and maintains this website. No act of downloading or otherwise copying from this website will transfer title to any software or material on this website to you. Step One Finance reserves all rights with respect to copyright and ownership of all material on this website, and will enforce such rights to the full extent of the law.
Please note Step One Finance is not responsible for the content of external websites.
Step One Finance assumes no responsibility for, and makes no warranties that, functions contained on this website will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that this website or the server that makes it available will be free of viruses or other harmful components. Step One Finance shall not be liable to any damages to, viruses that may infect, or services, repairs or corrections that must be performed on your computer.